Monday, June 25, 2012

Christians: Your Body Is A Temple.




Ok, so I have been thinking this a long time. Anyone who knows me, knows that I always bring my points across with the best of intentions. 
Also anyone who knows me, knows that I am passionate about health.
What I am about to write is in NO way an attack on anyone, only merely my personal opinion and feelings on an issue. I hope that it will be taken as that. 

We are all entitled to our own opinions, and this is mine.

With the sugar series being posted on this blog recently, and then reading this blog post here. I could not keep my thoughts to myself any longer.

Growing up in churches my whole childhood, and coming from a convserative protestant family, I have seen a lot of church events... and a lot of food. A LOT OF FOOD.

The church events that I have been to could put a Superbowl party to shame with the amount of garbage food spread across the table. 

The amount of soda makes me shudder. The fruit salad that no longer has nutritional value because of the sugary syrups and junk mixed in .... is a staple at almost every church event.

The cakes, cookies, ice creams, lasagnas, wings, pizza, etc. Oh, how the church loves their soda and greasy pizza...and they love to feed it to kids and teenagers. Yuck.

I was the kid that grew up in the church, I was the kid addicted to food.

Isn't gluttony a sin????

The church preaches against addictions, yet they cater to the largest addiction in the country ( in my opinion ).
Gluttony.
 The addiction to food.


The church may be a building where people fellowship, but there doesn't seem to be much fellowship without potato chips, popcorn, cupcakes, etc.

What about the food God created? The kind that doesn't come in a box or can. The kind WITHOUT man made chemicals.

Let me elaborate and tell you that I don't eat junk food anymore. I am not a church goer anymore ( for different reasons). Yet I love God with all my heart, I worship in my home and in God's creation, and I consume food God created. 

I am happy. I treat my body like a temple. I am a physically healthy Christian.

Let me further elaborate.

1 Corinthians 6:19 (NIV)says:

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;"


Ezekial 16:49 (NLT) says:

"Sodom's sins were pride, gluttony, and laziness, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door."

Proverbs 23:20-21 says:

"Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."


My point is this: The church is a building where Christians fellowship. A building that humans created. God built and created our bodies with love to be temples for His Holy Spirit. Shouldn't we take care of those bodies?

I find it HIGHLY hypocritical to be a protestant Christian who gorges themselves on bad food to the point of obesity, and justifies it all in the name of Christian fellowship.
Yet, I have been judged for no longer going to church, although I have a clean and healthy temple, and worship God and spend plenty of time in prayer.

How can it be that it has become acceptable to be this way?

It is my opinion that God would not want his children hypocrites, sickly, and addicts of food. 

Much less judgemental of each other.

I am not saying this to judge in any way, in fact I am posting this to bring to light the biggest sin I have seen in the churches I have been to.

It is sad. 

So, why not gather in fellowship over some yummy leafy greens, some fresh veggies and water to drink. Maybe even eat some grilled chicken without the sauces, and some brown rice. For dessert, some delicious berries and fresh fruit. 



Yum.

Guess what?

God created those foods, and they are good.

My beliefs.

You may share your thoughts below.


Be Happy Healthy & Strong,

Lolli

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Following from Mom Blog Monday! Look forward to reading more! Would appreciate the follow back!
    -Kat

    http://mom-uncensored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from the Mom Blog! THANK YOU for putting into words what I think all the time! I get so annoyed when I tell people we eat "real food", and they look at me like I am the crazy one! I'm not sure when it became so weird to eat whole, real food, but I agree with you whole heartedly!
    http://13plumconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete