Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, and RECYCLE : The Importance of Recycling


For many years Hubby and I have recycled our plastic grocery bags, and I have taken a reusable bag for small trips to the store. We even dropped our clothes and some small household items in the clothing and household item drop offs. We recycled batteries as well.
We are big on the reducing and reusing part of the equation. We buy a lot of fruits, veggies, and natural items that do not need packaging or use minimal packaging. Taking it a step further, we also buy a lot of products that are already made out of recycled packaging and printed with natural ink. We reuse our glass jars, rubber bands, etc.

This goes a long way to help the planet.

This year we have taken the next step. 

We are recycling all of our recyclables now.

Things that are accepted at our recycling drop off:

Cardboard
Aluminum Cans
Paper Publications
Glass
Plastics
 (#1-7, except 6-styrofoam)
Cartons

So, why recycle?

Recycling Saves Energy.
It takes less energy to make products from recycled materials than it does  from virgin materials.
Saving energy also helps reduce the amount of gasoline used when making products.
If you recycle aluminum, you are saving 92% of the energy it takes to make the product from scratch.

Land Conservation.
Recycling reduces that amount of waste that goes to the landfill which slows the growth of the landfills, and helps keep our land clean.

Reduces Pollution.
Reducing the amount of energy used also reduces the amount of fossil fuel used, which results in less pollutants!

Economically Beneficial.

Recycling usually equals fewer waste costs for businesses. 


There are many more benefits to recycling. 

For me recycling is also about doing something that makes you feel good. You are a part of something bigger, a collective group of people helping the planet.

In many places, recycling is very easy. A lot of areas have curbside recycling programs. In places like where I live, it is a little more difficult ( living in an apt.), I have to use a drop off, but it is close to my home, so it is not bad at all. I just drop off my recycling while running other errands. 

It doesn't have to take a lot of time. We set up buckets in our apartment to hold the different types of recycling. I drop it off once a week. That easy. We do go to other places to recycle the batteries & plastic bags, but those are easy also.

If you want to go the extra mile, check to see where in your town you can drop off cell phones, electronics, and eyeglasses to be recycled! In addition, drop off gently used children's toys and other items to places like Goodwill and the Salvation Army.

You can do it too. If we can do it in an apartment with a 1 year old baby, and having to go to a drop off, then there isn't an excuse for most people not to do it.

I admit, I didn't do it before because I was lazy.
However, I did recycle a lot of other things, I just didn't feel like going to the drop off. 

I am glad that I decided to expand our recycling efforts.
It goes along with our already green lifestyle. 

We take care of our bodies. After all, you only have one.
Well, the earth only has one "body" too, why not take care of it?

Please read part 2 of this post coming soon.
 The Importance of Reducing and Reusing.


For more information on recycling, please check out some of these sites:
Locat a recycling center near you:
http://www.recyclingcenters.org/

Do you recycle?
Tell me about your recycling efforts.
Let's support each other.

Be Happy Healthy & Strong,

....and recycle

Lolli

2 comments:

  1. We recycle in our house and it's fun teaching Reagan what goes in our trash bin and what goes in the recycle bin.
    Important to teach the little ones!

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recycle in my home also. I take my Ziplock bags, wash them, disinfect with Lysol spray, rinse, dry and they are as good as new LOL.

    ReplyDelete