Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Re-Invented Recipe: Mildly Spicy Hummus with Hemp Hearts


Ok, so anyone on my facebook page knows that I promised a yummy hummus recipe! Let's face it, who wants to eat hummus with vague ingredient labels that costs well over $4 a container! We used to do that all the time, but not anymore....and you don't have to either!

Try this recipe and see if you still want that store bought stuff!



Mildly Spicy Hummus

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of garbanzo beans pre-soaked 
OR
1 can of garbanzo beans rinsed

2 tablespoons of hemp hearts
1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice 
pinch of sea salt (1/4 tsp)
2 tablespoons tahini
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder ( optional)
Cayenne pepper or hot sauce (to taste)
1/4 cup filtered/spring water

In a food processor blend the hemp hearts and tahini together with the olive oil.

Add in the garbanzo beans, blend for 1 min.

Add in the remaining ingredients except water. Blend until smooth.

Add in the water and blend 1 more time for 30 sec to 1 min.

Using a spatula, remove the hummus from food processor and place in a container. Serve with carrots, celery, or non-GMO blue corn chips!


A little side note:

I used freshly squeezed lemon juice from my juicer. I also used hot sauce instead of cayenne pepper as I haven't bought more recently. The hot sauce I used was Frank's Red Hot Original because it does not contain a lot of added ingredients. If you are looking for a starting measurement, try 1 tablespoon of hot sauce or 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne, do a taste test once blended to see if you need more.
Make it to your taste buds liking!
I also used Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts, but any good quality hemp seeds should do. I have also made this with Nutiva.

If you want a plain hummus. omit the hot sauce/cayenne, and add maybe a little more lemon ( not a lot, like an extra tablespoon or so).

We make this hummus at least twice a week. It is delicious.

My friend Stacy had originally taught me how to make a basic hummus, then you all know how I am, I have to go and change things and add my little twist. But I wanted to give her a shout out and a thank you for teaching me....

Have you made your own hummus?

This hummus is less expensive than store bought and tastes wayyyyy better! It is so easy too!

Baby A eats it up so fast that there isn't always enough for Hubby and I!

Be Happy Healthy & Strong,

Lolli


***

See my disclaimer page. Make all recipes at your own risk. Do not copy or use my recipe for profit, you do not have permission to do so. If you post my recipe on your blog/site/book please give me credit by linking back to this post. I spent many hours in the kitchen coming up with this recipe on my own. You saw it on Re-Inventing Lolli blog first.

Remember you saw these recipes first here on ReInventing Lolli blog :) If you use one of my recipes, please give me credit, as I work hard to come up with all of my recipes.

Always check labels for gluten free/ allergen free status before using any ingredients.

Be careful when handling sharp objects, never leave children in kitchen unsupervised.



4 comments:

  1. Yummm!!! That seriously sounds amazing! I'm so happy you all like the homeade hummus, it really is sooo much better than store bought! I will never buy store bought again! I can't wait to try your recipe:) you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with me. Without that I would not have been able to come up with my own. You inspired me! :) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have got to try your Hummus recipe. I have been making it a lot lately but really don't have a good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you enjoy it! Feel free to tweak the seasonings to your liking at add others if you like a different flavor :)

      Delete