Friday, December 7, 2012

Happy Holidays!

not my photo, image googled from around the web.
I have been seeing a lot in social media ( facebook. twitter, etc), people saying " It's Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays!".

I disagree, to a point.
Here's why. 

To me, it is Merry Christmas, I say Merry Christmas to close friends and family who celebrate Christmas for the same reasons I do. However, it is not Merry Christmas to every one.
What about those who hold different beliefs?

It would be offensive (to some) to say "Merry Christmas" to a Latter Day Saint or a Jew, or some one of another religion that doesn't celebrate Christmas.

Not to mention, if it is some one I know I will not see during the holiday season, I like to say "Happy Holidays" for a couple of reasons. The first one being that it covers Christmas, and New Years. Secondly, I really do hope that all of their holidays are happy. 

It seems as though with some people " Happy Holidays" has gotten a bad rap. The truth is though, that "Happy Holidays" ( at least to me) is a warm, friendly, considerate way of wishing people a wonderful holiday season...including Christmas...if they celebrate it. 

Like I said some people celebrate different holidays, I wouldn't be offended, but it wouldn't make sense for some one I don't know to wish me a "Happy Hanukkah" or a "Happy Kwanzaa". So why would I wish a stranger a "Merry Christmas"?

What holidays do  you celebrate this season?
Or do you celebrate the holidays at all?

I would love to hear!

Be Happy Healthy and Strong...
and Have a Happy Holiday Season!

Lolli

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this subject. As a child I didn't celebrate Christmas. It was not allowed within our religion.
    I am no longer a participant of that religion and I choose to celebrate all the holidays now.
    But...because of how I grew up I would never presume that everyone I come in contact with celebrates the holidays or has the same belief.
    Unless someone says Merry Christmas to me I am a happy holidays girl.
    It's not personal but I don't need to offend anyone.

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a new client who is Turkish and I wouldn't say Merry Christmas to her but Happy Holidays. I go with the flow and I don't get offended if someone doesn't say Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete