Monday, January 7, 2013

Ask Me Monday : Natural Parenting!


It's Monday again! Time for an Ask Me Monday question. The first question of 2013!

" Do you find people accepting of your natural parenting style? Do you have any advice for a mom to be?..."


Our natural parenting style tends to be more accepted and supported by those our own age, and those my grandmother's age. People my parent's age (45-55) are the ones who have given me the most trouble about our parenting style. Although I am sure each person's situation is different.

I have had some people try to convince me to feed my daughter formula or french toast, others wanted me to feed her Gerber baby food. Of course, I believe in breastfeeding, avoid sugar, and make our baby food at home.

The most issues people tend to have is with the attachment parenting side of things. Our daughter still doesn't sleep in her own bed. People have told us to let her cry it out (we refuse, that is nonsense in our house), & are worried she will never sleep in her bed. My thoughts of this? I am sure that by the time she is school age she will want to be in her own bed. I am not worried if she sleeps in her co-sleeper beside our bed, its not hurting anyone's sleep.

My advice?
  • Go with your instinct. Do what works for you.
  • We chose breastfeeding, cloth diapers, safe co-sleeping, home made organic baby food, delayed vaccines, and baby wearing. This is what works for us.
  • If receiving unwanted advice, graciously say thank you and move on. You don't have to take the advice. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for what is right for your child.
  • Parent with love. Follow your parenting instincts, and let every decision be made with love.
  • Talk to other natural parents and share your parenting experiences with each other. A lot can be learned this way!
  • Pick up books and magazines from your local library on natural parenting/attachment parenting.
  • Don't stress, your baby will tell you what they need as they grow. They may not be able to talk, but they communicate their needs.


I hope this helps!

I am so happy we chose natural parenting. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Be Happy Healthy & Strong,
Lolli

1 comment:

  1. So many different forms of parenting and you hit the nail on the head...
    Do what works for you!

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete