Monday, September 10, 2012

ASK ME MONDAY # 3


"What made you decide to have a drug free birth with Baby A? So many people use epidurals these days.
Why did you choose a hospital instead of a birthing center?"

This is a  great question. I actually have not been asked this question a lot surprisingly.

First, I have to say that I personally don't believe in over use of medications. I believe that we should take the natural course of action whenever possible with our bodies. 
Our bodies were designed to have babies, so our bodies know what to do.

I believe that epidurals and C-sections should only be done on an absolutely necessary basis. I definitely didn't think that getting a needle in my back or having a major surgery was necessary for me.

I also didn't want Baby A to have medication in her system that was not necessary. Anything we put into our bodies affects the baby even if just a little bit. I felt no need to medicate my baby un-necessarily.

Thankfully Baby A came out into the world as planned, as she was supposed to. I didn't need any medication. After having Baby A drug free, I did end up taking 2 regular strength Tylenol so I could rest. 

Please read Baby A's birth story here.

In addition, I chose a hospital because there were no birthing centers close by ( closest one was 1 1/2 hours away) . Good thing I did not choose a place far away as I had a fast paced labor and would not have made it there. Secondly, I truly wanted a water birth, but the hospital was not allowed to have birthing tubs of any kind in their facility, so I went the next best route for me and had a completely natural un-medicated birth in a hospital. If I were to do it over again, I would have given birth to my daughter at home, however it was my first baby, and knowing that my mother had emergency c-sections with her 3 children, I did not want to take major risks.
I now know though that my body can handle labor, and that I can handle myself laboring at home. IF I were to ever have another baby, it would be at home or a water birth, or a mix of both :) 

I hope this answered your question. I really found natural labor a very positive experience for me, I realize it is not for everyone or those with complications, but I enjoyed it every step of the way and would do it natural the next time around ( if there is a next time).

Baby A is healthy & happy.

Be Happy, Healthy & Strong,

Lolli




Please keep the questions coming! Next week I will be answering another question on my blog! 

Have a question for me? 
Put it on facebook, my blog, or email me! 
I love talking to my readers!

Like what you read?
Vote for me on Picket Fence! ( right side bar)

These are my personal opinions and are not intended as advice of any kind.  Please consult your Dr. when making your birth plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment