Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Relationship with [Fast] Food (Part 1)

I hope that through this series, you not only learn more about me, but I hope that you discover more about yourself & your relationship with food....

I had a "normal" American life growing up.
We ate Chef Boyardee and Lunchables. When my mother cooked we had macaroni and cheese, lasagna...that sort of thing. On the weekends my father cooked pancakes, bacon, and eggs for breakfast. While all this food was yummy, it was far from healthy for me.

Snacks in our home consisted of Swiss Cake Rolls, Fudge Striped Cookies, and to give my mom credit "ants on a log" (celery with peanut butter & raisins).

We had candy on holidays and birthday cakes for our birthdays.

It doesn't stop there though. We ate out. Quite a bit. 

We would eat at restaurants like Perkins and Shoney's. We would eat the all you can eat breakfast bar super late at night. Piling our plates with grits, sausage, biscuits and gravy, ham, eggs, bacon, etc. We washed it all down with a soda pop.

 We went every kid's night that we could to Pizza Hut, their was a reading program that we got stickers on a button for. So we got "rewarded" for reading...with pizza. Lots & lots of pizza.

Summers consisted of ice cream.... lots of ice cream from Mr. Freeze.

As a teenager, we would get Krispy Kreme donuts from Speedway on Sunday mornings before church ( I have to admit that I miss this, not because of the donuts, but because of the time I spent with my father on Sunday mornings...), my parents would fill up on coffee & soda. I would get a coffee with several sugars, some vanilla syrup, and creamer! 

Since I was a child, Sunday consisted of McDonald's most frequently, but also included Burger King, Subway, Arby's, Hardee's, and pretty much any other fast food place that existed where we lived.

As a teenager the drive through was my favorite stop for food, on top of anything that was microwaveable. I loved Monster energy drinks. I rarely drank water. 

Are you starting to get a picture of how I grew up with a majorly disordered view of food?
Food was comfort. Food was family. Food was friendship. Food was fast.

All this time I have no idea that I had Celiac disease.
I also didn't know that I was destroying my body with chemicals & sugar & fat & salt &.......
You get the idea. 

Please check back for part 2...the continuation of my unhealthy diet, and eventually how it caught up to me.


Until my next post....

Be Happy  Healthy & Strong,

Lolli



Like what you read? Please vote! It's as simple as just clicking the button below...that's it!


No comments:

Post a Comment