Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Whipped Shea Baby Butt Butter Recipe!

A lot of people have been asking me for my diaper rash cream recipe. This recipe came about because Baby A was getting some bad rashes at one point. We had tried other CD safe diaper creams, and while they helped, they didn't get rid of the rash. 
I found that when I used my shea body butter on Baby A, her rash got a little better, but it needed a boost...and this is how the "Whipped Shea Baby Butt Butter" was born.

This has worked miracles on Baby A's bum, and she rarely ever gets rashes now, not even the little rashes!

I have never had problems with this building up in my cloth diapers either. I use various different kinds of cloth diapers from hemp, bamboo, to microfiber inserts, and even the few pocket diapers I have, haven't had any issues. It may or may not build up on yours, use your own judgement.

I  hope that this will help your baby as much as it has mine!!



Recipe

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Raw Shea Butter
1/2 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup olive oil or jojoba oil
1-2 tsp. zinc oxide powder
Optional: Essential oils like lavender or tea tree oil. Note that some babies cannot use essential oils so use with caution, ask your Dr before using essential oils on your baby.

Directions:
  • I use a pot and a mason jar instead of a double boiler, either works. Place a small amount of water in the bottom of the pot with the mason jar in the center. I use approx. 2-3 inches of water.
  • Bring the stove burner up to medium heat ( I set my burner at a 5-6) 
  • Place all the ingredients in the mason jar.
  • Make sure to stir occasionally until all the ingredients are melted into liquid.
  • Remove the jar from the heat, and pour melted ingredients into a glass mixing bowl.
  • Cover the mixing bowl and place in fridge for 1+ hours or freeze for approx. 40 minutes.
  • You will want the mixture to harden but still be somewhat soft.
  • Use a hand mixer and whip until fluffy.
  • Now, you will be adding in your zinc oxide powder ( do not inhale, I wear a mask)
  • Mix with the mixer again until all the powder is incorporated.
  • Transfer into shallow mason jar and place lid on ( should make 2 of size in picture above)
  • Place in fridge for approx. 10 minutes.
  • Remove from fridge and store in the nursery for use on baby's bum.
Helpful notes:
  • You can add 2-4 drops of essential oil while whipping the butter.
  • I use 1 tsp of zinc oxide, but more can be used if baby has a bad rash. I would increase 1/4 tsp at a time until  you find the right balance for your baby. I don't recommend more than 2 tsp. for this recipe.
  • Make sure to wash hands and all utensils used to make this thoroughly.
  • Keep zinc oxide powder out of reach of children and do not breathe in the particles.
  • Keep body butter in a room below 72 degrees fahrenheit. Hot rooms may cause this to liquefy slightly. If this occurs place back in fridge for 10 minutes.
  • Where I get my Shea and Zinc: https://www.essentialdepot.com/

I hope that you have found this helpful!

Let me know how it works for you!



Please see my disclaimer page. If you use this recipe you do so of your own free will, I (author) & ReInventing Lolli blog will not be held responsible for any outcomes resulting from you making this or any other recipe on my blog. Use common sense and talk to health care provider and manufacturers whenever necessary. If you have allergies please verify all products are allergen free before using. This recipe contains coconut.


Remember you saw this recipe first here on ReInventing Lolli blog :) If you use one of my recipes, please give me credit, as I work hard to come up with all of my recipes.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lolli - Thanks for this recipe! I can't wait to try it. Coconut oil breaks out my son's skin. Do you think it would change the recipe too much to leave it out? Wondering if I should alter the quantities of the other ingredients...? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could leave it out but would have to add in more olive oil during the whipping process.

      Delete